maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Nokia N800, Video Converter (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=6749)

pmaxx69 2007-06-11 16:31

Nokia N800, Video Converter

Hi

28/07/07: N800 Video Converter 0.8.4.0
http://xoomer.alice.it/sepaolo/n800vc/

Whats New:

* Video Podcasts support (RSS Version 2.0)
* Emergency Button (:-)) if the video Hangs
* Setup

The File ZIP contains only the EXE files, if you need mplayer/mencoder download the full version.

Go to WebSite for a complete changelog.

Paolo

rheve 2007-06-12 08:15

Re: Nokia N800, Video Converter

Downloaded. I'll come back to you.
I had a quick look, MMI is very nice :)

convulted 2007-06-12 08:28

Great software, works well and produces videos that play nicely on Nokia 770 / Mplayer.

rheve 2007-06-12 09:06

Two comments:
- According to what I saw in the profile, it seems you are forcing the frame rate to 25. Why not leave it as source frame rate?
- The target bitrate for video (512 kbps) seems to me a little bit low. I would target 784 kbps.

I will make some tests with various content I have. I very interested to see how you manage video size / aspect ratio transformation.

pmaxx69 2007-06-12 10:20

Hi!
thanks for your reply.

Quote:

According to what I saw in the profile, it seems you are forcing the frame rate to 25. Why not leave it as source frame rate?
You can remove '-r 25' from the file ini.
If you delete the file ini, the file will be created again with the default settings.
I have forced to 25 because sometimes FFMPEG does not recognize the source frame rate (in some video that i have tested).
In the next version i will add a option to force the destination frame rate to any value or to leave as is.

Quote:

The target bitrate for video (512 kbps) seems to me a little bit low. I would target 784 kbps
If you make some tests, please let me know :-)

Quote:

I will make some tests with various content I have. I very interested to see how you manage video size / aspect ratio transformation.
If you are interested, this is the formula that i use:

Width/Height: Source video resolution
dstWidth/dstHeight: Destination video resolution
maxWidth/maxHeight: Max Width/Height destination video resolution (400x240 or 400x224)
VideoRatio = Width/Height

1) - Fit Width
dstWidth = maxWidth
dstHeight = Round((1/VideoRatio) * dstWidth/16)*16 : I use multiples of 16

2) - Fit Height
dstHeight = maxHeight
dstWidth := Round(VideoRatio * dstHeight/16)*16;

3) - Stretch
dstWidth = maxWidth
dstHeight = maxHeight

Then i calc the crop values (multiples of 2) to pass to FFMPEG if dstHeight>maxHeight or dstWidth>maxWidth

I want add a option to force destination VideoRatio (in the next versions).

Paolo

maxilogan 2007-06-12 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmaxx69 (Post 51797)
Hi!
Try this software at:

Uellà! Fai le cose in grande... :)

Ciao, Omar aka Lester Burnham su ICHP

rheve 2007-06-12 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmaxx69 (Post 51897)
Hi!
thanks for your reply.

You're welcome.
Quote:

Hi!
In the next version i will add a option to force the destination frame rate to any value or to leave as is.

Great. In general, it is a good idea to avoid modification of the frame rate (can lead to synchro issues) unless you use integer division (1 out of 2 or 1 out of 3 for example)
Quote:

Hi!
If you make some tests, please let me know :-)

I already did using mencoder. I convert my daily tv shows in 400x240, original frame rate, 784kbps for video and 192 kbps for audio, and it runs very smoothly.
Quote:

Hi!
If you are interested, this is the formula that i use:

Width/Height: Source video resolution
dstWidth/dstHeight: Destination video resolution
maxWidth/maxHeight: Max Width/Height destination video resolution (400x240 or 400x224)
VideoRatio = Width/Height

1) - Fit Width
dstWidth = maxWidth
dstHeight = Round((1/VideoRatio) * dstWidth/16)*16 : I use multiples of 16

2) - Fit Height
dstHeight = maxHeight
dstWidth := Round(VideoRatio * dstHeight/16)*16;

3) - Stretch
dstWidth = maxWidth
dstHeight = maxHeight

Then i calc the crop values (multiples of 2) to pass to FFMPEG if dstHeight>maxHeight or dstWidth>maxWidth

I want add a option to force destination VideoRatio (in the next versions).

Paolo

Maybe an other way to compute the new size would be:
if VideoRatio < 400/240 then fit width else fit height.

This way you do not crop :)

pmaxx69 2007-06-12 22:06

New Version: N800 Video Converter 0.8.0.3

Whats New:

* You can force Frame Rate and/or Aspect Ratio (or leave the original)
New Frame Rates and Aspect Ratios can be added editing the ini file
* If the Video is cropped, the label 'Auto Crop' becomes RED
* Double Click on text box 'Dest. Dir' opens the Destination Dir in File Manager
* New Layout

The File ZIP contains only the EXE and the INI files, download the version 0.8.0.2 if you need FFMPEG and/or MPLAYER

P.S.: I have tested this setting (in the ini file), Video:784kpbs, Audio: 128kbps,
FFMPEG_ENC=-vcodec xvid -vtag divx -b 784000 -acodec mp3 -ar 44100 -ab 128000
and the video is smooth with MPLayer and Multimedia Player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxilogan (Post 51907)
Uellà! Fai le cose in grande... :)
Ciao, Omar aka Lester Burnham su ICHP

Eh Eh! E pensare che ero partito da un file BAT che faceva egregiamente il suo lavoro :D, comunque ti seguo da tempo su ICHP e sui vari BLOG, e 'a causa tua' ho preso l'N800 :-)

Karel Jansens 2007-06-12 23:08

I'm in two minds about this...

Video Convert is an amazingly good program, with a nice and easy to learn user interface (I don't believe in "intuitive" user interfaces), it does its thing without a hitch and produces the output the user wanted.

But...

When a converter produces files that are actually larger than the Divx files it converts, I'm inclined to say: "Thanks, but I need the card space". A 704 MB Divx of "the African Queen" (480x352) topped off at over 1 GB for the N800 converted file (320x240), while VirtualDub gives me a file of around 350 MB for the same resolution. We could go on about the amazing advantages of high bitrates for video and sound, but the simple fact is that I can't see the former and don't really care about the latter.

I wonder if it would be possible, for the simpletons among us, to get an option to set a maximum file size, something I find much more important in a space-deprived mobile media player than home theatre-quality output. Or maybe a box that gives an educated guess of the size for various bitrates. Obviously, that would imply the possibility for the user to change the bitrates...

Eng.Saad 2007-06-12 23:19

Do the videos that are converted with this program run well in the build-in medea player?