maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Meego the next cool OS? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=60366)

CYPHERC 2010-08-14 21:37

Meego the next cool OS?

I have to be honest w you, when i first saw the n900 i thought: "wow finally Nokia bringing something new, fresh, cool and good to the OS phone market" because i thought maemo was gonna be able to compete w Android and iPhone OS.

I did i thought Nokia wanted to show the world they can do great phones and great OS, i thought they wanted to sale, i was exited so exited that i got my n900, now i know how stupid Nokia is, they made a great device and then drop the whole idea... who waist that amount of money on advertising on a device u r gonna forget lol.

Anyway now Meego comes and only Nokia fans are exited, the rest of the world couldnt care less, BlackBerry recently launched the Tourch and before it was launched i saw an article named, "Does BlackBerry even matter anymore?". Funny but true and BlackBerry has more smartphone market in American than Nokia, Nokia is making us think Meego is gonna bring them up again, kind of like the solution of their sales issues, but they did that with the n900 before, and we know the results, so the question is...

1.- Do you belive in Nokia? :confused:
2.- Do you belive in Meego? :confused:
3.- Do you really think Nokia will be supporting Meego? or Meego will be the new forgotten Maemo? :confused:
4.- Does Nokia even matter anymore? :confused:

Im intested on your thoughts ;)

PS. Yes my grammar sux! :cool:

Russianhaxor 2010-08-14 21:44

Re: Meego the next cool OS?

1. Not quite.
2. Not really.
3. Depends how much money they and Intel sink into Meego. Intel doesn't half-*** things like Nokia has done lately.
4. Yes, Nokia still matters... they still innovate but they also tend to screw up.

mikecomputing 2010-08-14 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYPHERC (Post 786565)
I have to be honest w you, when i first saw the n900 i thought: "wow finally Nokia bringing something new, fresh, cool and good to the OS phone market" because i thought maemo was gonna be able to compete w Android and iPhone OS.

I did i thought Nokia wanted to show the world they can do great phones and great OS, i thought they wanted to sale, i was exited so exited that i got my n900, now i know how stupid Nokia is, they made a great device and then drop the whole idea... who waist that amount of money on advertising on a device u r gonna forget lol.

Anyway now Meego comes and only Nokia fans are exited, the rest of the world couldnt care less, BlackBerry recently launched the Tourch and before it was launched i saw an article named, "Does BlackBerry even matter anymore?". Funny but true and BlackBerry has more smartphone market in American than Nokia, Nokia is making us think Meego is gonna bring them up again, kind of like the solution of their sales issues, but they did that with the n900 before, and we know the results, so the question is...

1.- Do you belive in Nokia? :confused:
2.- Do you belive in Meego? :confused:
3.- Do you really think Nokia will be supporting Meego? or Meego will be the new forgotten Maemo? :confused:
4.- Does Nokia even matter anymore? :confused:

Im intested on your thoughts ;)

PS. Yes my grammar sux! :cool:

So you think the american market is the only existing market? I am sure there are other markets thats intrests Nokia alot more.

*not all people buy phones after how many apps there exist on store.

* Not all people like Android

* compete with android/iphone? Do I care less! I dont buy mobile/tablets after how man of my friends buy it. I bought my N900 cause its most open and core linux and I will probadly buy Meego to if they release a new phone with HW keyboard.

AlMehdi 2010-08-14 21:49

I think you have not tried to learn Maemo.. If you know it's capabilities and how to use it. You would never have written something like this. Sure it lacks on phone functions.. but then there is no better mobile computer out there. The Maemo OS will still live long and i am content with it. Maemo might be to technical for the average user though.. thus Nokias change to MeeGo.

MeeGo will not be relying on Nokia by it self either. So sure.. i believe in Nokia and Meego even though Maemo is better suited for me and i'll probably stay with it when Meego is reliesed for the n900. But it depends on how the Meego evolve.

CYPHERC 2010-08-14 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 786569)
So you think the american market is the only existing market? ....

nop i dont think like that, but that is the market i know so i cant say abt eurpe, or asia or any other cause i dont know... that's why i was so specific.

mikecomputing 2010-08-14 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlMehdi (Post 786571)
I think you have not tried to learn Maemo.. If you know it's capabilities and how to use it. You would never have written something like this. Sure it lacks on phone functions.. but then there is no better mobile computer out there. The Maemo OS will still live long and i am content with it. Maemo might be to technical for the average user though.. thus Nokias change to MeeGo.

MeeGo will not be relying on Nokia by it self either. So sure.. i believe in Nokia and Meego even though Maemo is better suited for me and i'll probably stay with it when Meego is reliesed for the n900. But it depends on how the Meego evolve.

One thin about Meego it will not work without closed drivers ofcourse we may think thats the true but as far as I know I havent seen a linux dist on desktop market that works 100% without closed drivers and closed apps like skype/flash and so on...

So we should all no that so we dont get one million threads with angry people on trhe Meego/Maemo forum when first phone/tablet gets released.

But atleast Meego is the most open linux platform today on mobile market and thats very promising :-) Also QT and the rest of the SDK seems very promising in the developers perspective :)

rebelnoob 2010-08-14 22:15

if meego fails nokia should stop making smartphones..

theflew 2010-08-14 22:43

Topics like these drive me crazy. Nokia and Intel are not MeeGo. MeeGo is an open source OS like Fedora, openSUSE, etc... Nokia and Intel could go out of business and MeeGo would still exist via the Linux Foundation. Can you say the same for Android and iOS? All Intel and Nokia did was throw money and developers to harden assets MeeGo is using. Internally Nokia is throwing money at MeeGo to make Nokia MeeGo like Novell is making SUSE MeeGo. MeeGo proper (open source) and Nokia's variant that starts with the MeeGo core and adds "value added" services/programs are separate things.

leetut 2010-08-14 22:50

i was really excited to leave symbian and join maemo,
and am still impressed with it everyday, and still think its the best os and phone (n900) currently available (almost a year after release)

then thought nokia had lost the plot dropping it for meego, but after reading they had teamed up with intel i got excited again,

then i saw all the leaked pics and vids of meego and dont like what i saw to be honest

i always thought apple did so well because osx sells lots of apps, generating lots of money for developers, and increasing device sales because of it

as for nokia:
symbian users would use a dodgy cert to install free cracked apps,
and maemo users can just install anything, even the paid apps are available free somewhere,
and ovistore is a mess and a nightmare for devs (apparently)
its not looking good for nokia at all, but i wouldnt put it past them to pull off something amazing with meego

regardless, i wont buy a nokia device again until its been on the market for at least 6months, no more pre-orders for me

maxximuscool 2010-08-14 23:38

@Leetut,

Not just Symbian Os, take a look at iOS there are million of cracked apps for them to use. Simply Jailed break the device because it's perfectly legal now then you can put whatever you'd like on it way more than what's available on Nokia store. So the problem is not the apps cracked, the problem is there isn't enough users and developers to support and backing up Nokia. Apple business model is very clever and they have a very good CEO to hype up and promoting there product and business model. I Got to admit on how much upseting when seeing N900 is slowly lost it's groovie in less than 1year. My next device may be won't be Meego. May be Droid OS, or iOS for my next device. I'm still waiting to see which one matched my requirement next year then making decision. If iPhone5 coming out then my guess is I might be using it for sure. Meego still got atleast a few years to do the catch up with the driod and iOS. Not that I do not believe in Nokia or anything but after being and early adopter of the Maemo5 OS, I got to admit that I'm truely disappointed with Nokia and hesitating on the next purchase.

I got to say IOS4 is great! and there is a backward compatibility with the previous models as well. Whether it's much for the 3G to run it but 3GS running it okay. This is how apple making their customers happy and they will surely buy the next iphone because they know iphone will be at least got more than 1year life span and constantly getting the update.

I might be a fallen soldier very soon and might jumping the Apple ship in the future. Nokia devices have a bad life span and very shocking price inflation after 3months of it's reased date. A device that constantly dropping in price like fly won't always be good. Iphone price doesn't dropped as much at all over the last few years. I'm truely upseting...