maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [Announce] N9-rpn, very minimal (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100245)

mfrasca 2018-03-12 16:12

[Announce] N9-rpn, very minimal

https://github.com/mfrasca/N9-rpn

I was missing a RPN Calculator, so I made one myself.
it's not even close to an HP-45, but it does something.

manual installation, or help accepted for packaging it.

download it wherever you want, then symlink the directory to /opt/rpncalc, something like:

ln -s /home/user/rpncalc /opt

put the n9-app.desktop file in /home/user/.local/share/applications/n9-rpn.desktop

it still misses an icon, it should not flip, it could implement y^x, exp, π, they are already there, I just did not put the buttons on the screen.

publish often, publish early.

AdaBwana 2018-03-13 01:48

Re: [Announce] N9-rpn, very minimal

Very slick. Have you seen symbian's new (as of Jan 2018) calc_mem_pr?
I love what you have with exponentials, all I'd like to see is a quick interest operation like #3 from above link #perfect

mfrasca 2018-03-13 03:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdaBwana (Post 1542311)
Very slick. Have you seen symbian's new (as of Jan 2018) calc_mem_pr?
I love what you have with exponentials, all I'd like to see is a quick interest operation like #3 from above link #perfect

my reference point are HP calculators, and a never dying dream is to port nonpareil to whatever platform I have in my pocket. but 'nonpareil' is written in C, and I'm not yet sure how to compile C sources on N9. The calculator you want, that's probably the 12c, a machine still in commerce, some 35 years after its introduction. if I have the C core compiled, attaching a user interface to it is not the hardest task.

but I already wanted to add the 'f' and 'g' buttons, and then we have space for %, %T, and Δ%.

juiceme 2018-03-13 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfrasca (Post 1542314)
my reference point are HP calculators, and a never dying dream is to port nonpareil to whatever platform I have in my pocket. but 'nonpareil' is written in C, and I'm not yet sure how to compile C sources on N9. The calculator you want, that's probably the 12c, a machine still in commerce, some 35 years after its introduction. if I have the C core compiled, attaching a user interface to it is not the hardest task.

Provided it's a standardish tarball, "./configure; make; devel-su make install" is often enough :)

Halftux 2018-03-13 11:56

Nice small calculator. This reminds me that I compiled a HP15c for the N900 could also try to compile it for the N9.
However a port of nonpareil is much better so please go ahead.

mfrasca 2018-03-13 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1542317)
Provided it's a standardish tarball, "./configure; make; devel-su make install" is often enough :)

you're referring to nonpareil... nope, have a look at it, build is `scons` based, don't ask me, this is the only project where I've met it.

juiceme 2018-03-14 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfrasca (Post 1542348)
you're referring to nonpareil... nope, have a look at it, build is `scons` based, don't ask me, this is the only project where I've met it.

Yes, looks like you need to build scons first.

Basically that's why I said it is "often enough" just to do configure&make... often you also need to install some tools and libraries before you get to build the actual thing itself :)

Now most of the time it is pretty easy and you only need to build couple of things beforehand, but there have been cases for example when I need to first build a newer gcc and glibc, and that gets pretty hazy soon, of course you need to install those under home so not to mess up the system completely...

mfrasca 2018-03-15 01:43

in the meanwhile I've been giving better structure (in my opinion) to the tinly minimal rpn calc I just published on github.
looks and feels quite usable, not the best graphics, but still, if you're used to RPN, much better than the built in one.
I will have a look at porting nonpareil, some time.

mfrasca 2018-03-15 18:32

added a bit of statistics, linear regression, persistent stack.

mfrasca 2018-05-13 22:25

rpncalc-1.0.deb

works as far as I tested, so please report anything unexpected.