maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Samsung interested in WebOS? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75989)

MINKIN2 2011-08-22 20:38

Samsung interested in WebOS?

Have been visiting the palm forum and came across this post hinting towards HTC/samsung in the WebOS "world". After reading through it also appears as though a few others are also picking up on the rumor too with Samsung interested in licensing webOS

Personally, I do hope Samsung will pick up HPs baton as looks like there might a small glimmer of hope for our favorite Linux based underdog cousins :)

What are your thoughts, who would you like to see making hardware for WebOS?

HtheB 2011-08-22 20:53

Re: Samsung interested in WebOS?

According to the biggest Dutch tech website Tweakers.net, HTC and Samsung doesn't want WebOS. But it seems like LG could be interested in the WebOS

Source:
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/76259/htc...et-hebben.html

Google Translate

maluka 2011-08-22 20:56

I don't see why they would considering that their own Bada already outsells WebOS already. It would be good for consumers to have more choice and a nice custom skin over WebOS though.

ericsson 2011-08-22 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1074867)
Have been visiting the palm forum and came across this post hinting towards HTC/samsung in the WebOS "world". After reading through it also appears as though a few others are also picking up on the rumor too with Samsung interested in licensing webOS

Personally, I do hope Samsung will pick up HPs baton as looks like there might a small glimmer of hope for our favorite Linux based underdog cousins :)

What are your thoughts, who would you like to see making hardware for WebOS?

I have one thing to say LOL :D

Actually, it is not that far fetched. Samsung is definitely looking for ways to get into software and services instead of just hardware, the same is HTC. However, if they are going for WebOS, it is not the OS they are after in particular, it's the people and know how. If I were Samsung I would get WebOS with people and everything. Dump WebOS and go for MeeGo and Bada, but I'm not Samsung. Besides, Samsung is heavily involved with Mentor Graphics and what they need is more services, an ecosystem or two :)

vivmak 2011-08-22 21:24

Someone take it, don't let it die.

Possible that Samsung or HTC or LG will be interested because Google is now a hardware vendor too!

Kangal 2011-08-23 04:47

Google is now a dominant Android vendor, That's true.

I see optimisms with Samsung, who will screw it up by mixing cholocate with manure(Bada)... but Samsung just wants the patents to "up yours" Apple.
LG unlikely. HTC, not enough resources/buying power i think. Nokia definitely if the trojan horse is absent, but he's there for good.

petur 2011-08-23 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by maluka (Post 1074876)
I don't see why they would considering that their own Bada already outsells WebOS already.

It may outsell WebOS but it is still crap.

govprog 2011-08-24 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericsson (Post 1074901)
Actually, it is not that far fetched. Samsung is definitely looking for ways to get into software and services instead of just hardware. Dump WebOS and go for MeeGo and Bada. Besides, Samsung is heavily involved with Mentor Graphics and what they need is more services, an ecosystem or two :)

Samsung got to add two ''s'' to Bada and make it badas*.

Helmuth 2011-08-24 10:04

In my opinion the best case would be if a vendor will take WebOS, put the UI on top of MeeGo and release some decent devices with this system.
  • A superior and unique User Interface
  • A MeeGo compatible core system and hence plenty of applications from our N900, N950 & N9 ecosystem

joy 2011-08-24 10:56

Nice info..Thanks Helmuth