View Single Post
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I hope you know me as the person who is working to keep maemo alive.
I do, ergo the shock!

There is no chance to negotiate permissions to host binaries etc with Nokia unless we organize into a legal entity. If there is anyway to organize maemo community into a legal entity without a vote, please describe it.
I would expect to see a few concrete proposals, followed by debate (people are going to have strong feeling about things like jurisdiction for example) followed by a vote between the proposed options (including "none of the above"). A referendum on chosing between (some vague notion of) organising or winding down right now seems both forced and premature to me.

Here is the currently proposed wording of my referendum (Jaffa is engaging the issue in the ML) subject to debate until August 22:

Should the Community Council be authorized to form a governance structure which sees the continued support of maemo devices and survival of maemo-based and derived open source software even without Nokia involvement?
That's arguably better, but still too vague. Many people's gut reaction (including mine I think) would be to not give the next (unknown) council carte blanche on something that important.

What are the implications of a "no" result?

Also, why such a short debate period? Can we at least extend it to match the nomination period for the council?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: