View Single Post
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Still many thumbs UP !

Again, my main complain is that I had to go through many hours of Talk Forums.

My applications are now running nice and smooth. However, for a commercial gadget from the largest phone seller of the world, flaws are still , well let's say "surprising" . And I don't buy it when Senior, Junior or simple Members are referring to Open Communities etc.

[QUOTE=snowlog;115383]
I have had a host of problems since “upgrading” my N800 to OS2008 about a week ago from OS2007 and I could really use people's advice (I ask several specific questions at the end of this post).

Same experience, don't know if its is over and nobody answers my question if the repositories are now fixed.

My source for the OS2008 was http://noneus.de/ where I downloaded RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin. It downloaded quickly on my broadband connection (about 134 mb in maybe three minutes) and I flashed it to my N800 using the latest Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard. This also was speedy and I was soooohhh….. optimistic. Little did I know what was to come. Btw, I was having no problems with OS2007, although I used it mainly for surfing and e-mail and some YouTube video watching: plain vanilla applications and nothing beyond. I was looking forward to OS2008 and being able to more easily install other apps I had been reading about.

Same perspective.

Here is a summary of my issues:

1. Navigating (scrolling around with the stylus either on the page itself or on the scroll bar on the right) on almost all webpages is slower than before.

Use finger, but you have to be weary not to start another window. Would really like a hardware scrolling wheel.
2. Navigating is sticky and jerky and extremely frustrating.

Don't see that, but see 7

3. On some web pages now, the stylus cannot drag the page at all – up, down or anywhere!

I use the side scrolling bars in that case, no problem.

4. Same as #3 above for finger dragging – it doesn’t work at all on many pages or it works slow, sticky and jerky (and thus pretty useless).

Don’t understand the slow, do not see that. (see also below)

5. Finger keyboard ONLY comes up by pressing the center button on the scroll control and will not come up - as it did with OS2007 on same device – with a simply tap of my finger on the input field. This is not the way this function is supposed to work and is totally inexcusable. I know that many others have already reported on this malfunction.

Agreed, annoying, might come form the 810 having hardware buttons

6. The default font size is smaller on every page – I think this may mean that the screen resolution was changed in OS2008 to include more of the web page on the screen. This is also inexcusable because the default size is now unbelievable tiny! I would like to know who made this asinine decision so I could tell her or him just how asinine it was. There should be a choice of screen resolutions as there is in the Windows OS, so one can adjust the font size.

No problem, resolution is good. Do not even use 'full page'. Have to wear my glasses, but that also applies to reading a book.

7. Not everything, but many things in OS2008 work slower for me than OS2007.

Disagree, sorry, don't see this. Have the strong impression my N800 is now a lot faster. However I do note that using applications like Canola or Quiver is sometimes, don't know why, slow. What I normally do is restarting. I blame it on my reprositories (still a mess).

8. On the stylus keyboard, there is no longer a CAPS LOCK key – only an “En” key where Caps Lock used to be (En is a language-related key). What happened to Caps Lock? How can I type all CAPS when I need to, without pressing the Cap arrow every single time?!

Agreed, anoying, might come form the 810 having hardware buttons

9. My N800 often completely freezes or gets hung up for 30-60 seconds – it never did that with OS2007. As a matter of fact, I am getting increasingly angry as I type this, thinking of how unpleasant and impractical my N800 has become to use, since I “upgraded” to OS2008. I am also ticked off at all the hype about how slick and smooth OS2008 is. For me, it’s about as slick as molasses going uphill.

As mentioned above, happened two or three times since upgrading (22 DEC.), but so does my PC.

Now that I’ve vented, let’s get solution-oriented. Here are my questions:

- Are others having the same terrible experience with OS2008 or is it just me?

Tried to answer that above.

- If it’s just me, did I get a bad or corrupted version of OS2008, i.e. should I download it again from a different source and then re-flash in the hope that the second time it will work properly?

Atually, I did two upgrades: the first was a real mess.

Didn't know about the repositories, machine was slow, could'nt download Pidgin etc.

So I did re-upgrade two days later and found that I was now missing essential to be pre-installed reprositories in my application catalog. Found them at the http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...&system=maemo3 site.

Did a full back-up recover (was still missing the "Nokia certified" repository) (This Tablet Forum advises NOT to do so !, but I had to) and to my surprise it all works fast and smooth.

Took some hours, but since then I have no serious problems. However I do not think I would reccommend all this.

- Should I flash back to OS2007?

I cetainly will not flash back. MediaPlayer is a lot better, Youtube now plays very smooth etc. Love wayfinder etc.

- Is there something I have overlooked? This is entirely possible – I am no expert!!

Neither am I, (took me a lot of time to get familiar with all those libgnut whatever etc. terminology)

The Following User Says Thank You to AbelMN For This Useful Post: