View Single Post
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
This might be Act II of the end of Nokia (Act I began when Elop stepped through the doorway) and this time next year there might not be a Nokia, or a TMO site or anything. It could all be under a different umbrella, under new ownership, branding, etc, etc, etc. Who knows. But there are a few things we do know: 2007 and the iPhone changed it all (it's all been said before, and we all understand the enormous shift in the mobile universe when that thing came along). Nokia didn't respond, it just got its head a little more comfortable way down there in the sand, churning out half-assed devices like the N97, E75 etc. Again, ground that has been fully raked in the past. Then Elop comes along and puts the bullet in Maemo and Symbian. DONE. It's all done at that point, what's left is a slow death, what we're experiencing in the community right now.
But...

even though it might now, sadly, be a matter of months before Nokia is done, we have [our N900s and] our N9s. And I for one will be swiping over that curved screen for months to come, happily swiping left and right, up and down, knowing updates are finished, but also appreciating that I'm part of a great community, with more passion for Nokia's products than even some Nokians, and until my N9 finally dies and I can't buy a replacement, I will be happy that I'm still using the best phone I've ever used.

Nokia might go, and that might be what was always going to happen no matter who was in charge. But nevermind the might haves, the could haves, the what ifs. We know that the N900 and the N9 are their best work.

And we have them.

Happy weekend everyone. Don't go rushing out to buy any boring Android black slabs this weekend