View Single Post
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
In Q3 2007, the first full quarter after the iPhone was released, NOKIA sold 15.9 million smartphones. In Q4 2010, the last full quarter before Elop publicly EOLed Symbian, NOKIA sold 28.3 million smartphones.

Far from your fantasy of the 'real competition' destroying Symbian sales the reality is the sales of NOKIA's Symbian devices nearly doubled and that's despite the fact the N8, the first half-decent hardware NOKIA had given Symbian in a very long time, wasn't released until the very end of that time frame.

Symbian has had touch support since the days it was called EPOC and appeared on Psion Series 7 devices

I think you should take your own advice, I'm sure you must be good at something but it's certainly not astroturfing.
We got a resident Symbian apologist here. Even a dead horse, will carry some forward momentum. You clearly dont understand what was going on and that is why NOKIA didnt ask you to be a CEO.

In 2008, after iphone has shown popularity, NOKIA execs were talking to Stanley Morgan execs, including people I knew, depressed and knowing that their game is over. They could increase sales by lowering the prices on their phones, and selling them on the markets where android and iphone penetration was small. But they knew that the game can only be played for a few years before they lost it completely. And the amazing thing was they didnt know what to do.

N8 is the worst ABOMINATION of a smart phone. I couldnt believe that they could sell it like that, when I first got it. That pretty much killed Symbian even in poor countries, as the subsequent arrival of much better iOS and Androids showed how far superior they were to N8.

This is a case where sales numbers belie what was brewing underneath. You have to plan your move well ahead of time. NOKI waited till the end before making their move. Its costing them now a lot.