View Single Post
Thanks. Well, I unwrapped the N9 (the plastic film came off rather easily and I can probably put it back on) and handled it with gloves on since I know the thing will be covered with fingerprints as soon as I touch it. It was really clean and beautiful the moment I unwrapped it, but had dust on it just seconds later. I tried to turn it on but the battery was flat, so I put it on a charger. After a few minutes I powered it up and it asked me to set the time (currently set to year 2000, timezone Helsinki, heh heh) and I powered it back down, so it's still charging.

I bought my N900 with the idea of making it my main phone instead of the E63, but I found the E63 just handled a lot more nicely (better physical form factor, hardware buttons, etc.) The N9 seems like a more usable phone but I'm still squeamish:

1) it uses a microsim, so I can't swap the sim between the N9 and my other phones that use regular sims. I had the idea of coping with the N9's internal battery by just carrying a small spare phone instead of a spare cell, and swapping the sim if I had to. But my spare phone (E63 or Nokia 1208 or whatever) uses a regular sim. Maybe there's a small basic phone that uses microsims?

2) I just hate internal batteries in general

3) There is no cover for the camera lens like the N900 has, so I worry about the lens getting scratched up by crap in my pocket. Having a good camera is one of the main reasons I got the N900 and later the N9 so I don't want to mess it up. I guess I can get a carrying case for the phone, but that makes it harder to use.

So I'm still a bit undecided. Of course since I've unwrapped the phone and started charging it, it's a used phone now, so I may as well play with it for a while. I also need to figure out how to import my contact list from the E63. I don't have any significant info in the N900.

Update: I've turned it on and started playing with it. More tomorrow, probably.

Last edited by phr; 2013-04-08 at 04:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to phr For This Useful Post: