View Single Post
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Bay Area, CA
after reading about 6 books on that tiny little portion of my N800's screen, I emailed the ereader.com request account. Technically I think it's designed for requesting books to convert to the eReader format, but apparently it worked anyway.

I have to admit I was in a bit of a mood when I emailed them.

Here's what I sent:

Hi. I Have been buying ereader books on and off for years, as well as buying the software to convert text files into ereader files. I have a fairly decent library of books at this point, and in the past most of my personal technology devices have been chosen, in part, based on their ability to run the ereader software.

The problem is, my most recent purchase, a Nokia N800 Internet tablet, was chosen because it could run GarnetVM, a palm OS virtual machine. E-reader installed into the program just fine, as do the books I've purchased here. However, while GarnetVM will allow programs to run at the native resolution of the N800, E-reader is limited to a very tiny screen, and cannot render the page correctly at all if the screen is rotated. As these abilities function within GarnetVM for other programs, this is clearly an issue between GarnetVM and the E-Reader software.

I assume it would be too much to ask you to create a version of E-reader that could work in the native N800 environment. (It is a linux enviroment, and I notice with great disapppointment that you've provided no support for reading your ebooks in open source environments.) However, as GarnetVM already runs the existing version of palm ereader, would it be that difficult to enable a working full screen mode for the platform?

I know I would not be the only ereader user who would be very happy to have a full screen option with e-reader within Garnet VM.

Please consider my request on behalf of the Nokia N-series community.
And here's why I'm posting this: this is the email I recieved in return.

A member of our development team has asked me to forward this message to you:

"we are now obtaining the device and are looking into how we can fix it, but it may take a week or more to investigate"
I don't know if this will actually pan out, but apparently they're at least looking into it! Woot!

The Following User Says Thank You to VSC For This Useful Post: