View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So it turned out that the 'ar' 'common' format, which is what 'deb' files are, is trivial. It's essentially all of the files concatenated, with some metadata prepended to each file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ar_%28U...format_details

As a result, it is fairly straightforward to implement it using cat, printf/echo, ls+awk / wc to get the file size, and expr to do modulo-2 on the file size, because file entries have to be 2-byte aligned.

I was delayed in several ways today which kept me from getting this done sooner, but now I bring you: fkdep

Ta-da. It'll install packages with the name fkdep-[fake-provided-package-name], assuming it gets root permissions to do the actual install, or, if run as not-root, simply generate the .deb file and then leave it in the /tmp/fkdep-[whatever] directory for you to do what you want with. (For extra amusement factor, the fake packages self-license themselves under the wtfpl )

I'll make a proper announcement thread when I've had the chance to package it for our repos here.

[Edit: To be clear, this has, near as I've tested, literally no dependencies besides what is already installed on an N900 stock. I tested all of the individual commands through the stock busybox, BUT I have not yet tested on a truly-stock, no-CSSU-or-anything N900. It's on my todo list to do that, in the meantime if someone does find an unnoticed dependency let me know, though I'm fairly confident there are none.]

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2014-02-09 at 03:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: