Thread: HiFo Discussion
View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
You assuming you have to take responsibility of any random server in the internet that is clearly illegally
Nobody is now, or has ever, claimed anyone must take responsibility for "random servers in the internet". The only person ever to claim that is you. But you already know that.

And when others (yes that's to you Woody) even ask for the operators of those illegal servers stating their name and address to relieve legal threat from HiFo,
I said no such thing. I said if someone believes they have legal standing to distribute these images, they should take that belief to it's next logical step: To host them openly so they can prove their belief to be correct. Know anyone who's claimed these images are "open source" and are owned by the community via the EULA legal terms? I recall someone arguing that at some point...

When these were being hosted by whatever 3rd party was doing it, it was not being done openly. That implies that those involved knew it was at least legally questionable. Something you apparently still have trouble grasping.

What you conveniently ignore: there's a possibility to LEGALLY host the blobs:
BY NOKIA!
Do you think that wasn't asked? Do you think nobody thought to ask Nokia if they could just host those few little things that they legally couldn't give rights to? IT WAS ASKED, MANY MANY TIMES. The answer was always NO. We asked that when Quim was still around. With every new representative we talked to, we asked again. Every shift in the contract, we asked again.

Can we host it? Can you host it for us? Can we arrange a third party that we pay and you direct to host it (like Nemien)? Can you contract us to host it for you for some minor sum, like 1€/year? These were all options we laid out and asked for, multiple times, in various configurations. The answer was always NO. Though they did take a week or two to consider that last one once...

From early on, Nokia has had no interest in doing anything beyond finishing what was already in the pipeline. Were it not for Quim putting them on the spot by starting the legal work before he left, and Council/HiFo/Techstaff pulling every week and performing minor miracles at times, this community would be nothing but a stale 2 year old Google cache hit right now.

Do you expect Microsoft will answer differently once they own the mobile division? HiFo can always ask again, not that MS has any more legal right to say yes than Nokia did. But if that answer remains NO, then HiFo still has no legal right to redistribute them. And you repeatedly moaning, whinging, stating otherwise, and implicitly blaming others for it not being so does nothing to change that. All it DOES serve to piss people off, and confuse those that don't know the history.

But then that's likely your goal, isn't it. Spread FUD, cause dissent and confusion, while trying to elevate your own standing. Eventually people get tired of arguing with you and leave, and in the end you can get your way. You can be last man standing... again.

Good luck with that, and the OM/FR4 reboot, aka Neo900. I've seen this show twice now. Damned if I'll stick around to watch it a 3rd time.

Good luck community. You're going to need it.

Last edited by woody14619; 2014-07-15 at 06:33.