View Single Post
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, I'm not so sure. I think that jolla for 250€ is quite good deal now, better than aquaris, and if nothing more, it is available.
If you compare specs vs. price than probably not, but it's not all about the money. That kind of thinking actally brought us to this lousy situation, race to the bottom made all products worthless, no matter how much you pay, nothing is future proof, no support from manufacturers and even top models of whatever are obsolete after a year or so.
And don't forget that jolla is is jolla, there's no jolla in different case with different branding while this aquaris is most likely the same as who knows how many other micro brands out there. Just different case and branding.
Uhm... I did not compare specs thoroughly, but the Ubuntu phone and the Jolla seem to be quite similar, hardware wise.

Comparing specs, is the correct way to rationally decide between two systems that are running the same software.

Now the Jolla and the Ubuntu phone are running different OSes, but they are both interesting to me, at least in principle. Jolla has the advantage of one year in the hands of consumers, which means it is (now) more ready for actual users. Ubuntu can be interesting as a new toy/development platform. And you do not have to break the bank to get the new toy, which is good.

Race to the bottom is, in general good for phones. Low end phones of today are quite capable, and given that they tend to break, get lost or stolen and require a replacement every two three years, I cannot understand spending 500eur+ for one.

Both Ubuntu and Jolla have drawbacks, but on the whole, having them both available is better than having neither. Plus, they both will be working on common infrastructure, so e.g. improvements on Telepathy from the ubuntu side means Jolla will eventually get the same improvements, and viceversa.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post: