View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The concept of the task flow was something that webOS actually handled more or less (barring lots of bugs), e.g. a browser window opened by a program would stack on top of that program, instead of stacking on top of the "web browser" stack.

webOS would be my without a doubt my favourite (open) mobile OS ever if it wasn't for the entire... webOS thing. Although maybe that's the reason implementing proper multitasking was trivial to them.
WebOS was another awesome concept with a mediocre execution.

One thing I've learned from Apple is that execution is really really important, at least as important as the ideas you're executing.

The N810 or the N900 should have been revolutionary devices, but they were both really mediocre executions. By the time the N950/N9 came, it was too late. Too much time lost, not enough momentum.

You are either first to the market with an astounding new idea, or you are able to throw vast resources at an existing idea and make the best execution of that idea in the market. Apple did the first thing in the 70s with the Apple II, and they've been doing the second thing ever since. They really nailed it with the iPod, and they never looked back. We all know the iPhone was nothing new, but they did it best.

I think in 2007, there was a chance to disrupt the market. I think the Internet Tablets should have been funded as a core project by Nokia, and they should have built phone capabilities in from the start.

Now? Unless you've got something absolutely groundbreaking, don't waste time and money reinventing wheels. Find someone with deep pockets and get to work making awesome versions of stuff that we already have. Polish the crap out of it. People will buy it.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: