View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Fallingwater View Post
Hi. I've dug my N900 back out because I'm interested in running a Pi-Hole household ad-blocker on it, as per this thread.

Pi-hole is meant for a Raspberry Pi, but will work on vanilla Debian - I currently have it running on an old Asus EeePC 701 running textmode Debian.

Consequently, I need Debian running on the N900. Importantly, I don't care about Maemo at all - I'll do a MMC backup for nostalgia's sake, but I don't actually need the device to perform as a smartphone anymore, so I can wipe its contents completely and repartition from scratch. All I need is for the operating system to run and connect to my wi-fi, then I can control it via ssh and download what I need from the Debian repos and pi-hole.

I have some relatively vague memories about tinkering on the N900, but it's been several years since I've done anything on it and I don't really remember the technicalities. Is a step-by-step guide to install DebiaN900 available? I've checked the readme but it assumes knowledge I don't really have; specifically, is there any way to avoid cross-compilation, perhaps using precompiled kernels?

And thanks for the efforts, I wasn't expecting to see the most recent update to be yesterday!
I'm not familiar with Pi-hole but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. As long as you are running a Debian based distro on your PC (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.), it's fairly straight forward to set up. Not a lot of prior knowledge is required, you just need to make sure that all of the dependencies have been installed. If you still have problems, I could provide you with a precompiled kernel deb package.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Ok, I used the old version of DebiaN900 to setup Debian on my spare N900. There's one problem. U-Boot doesn't show the entries

I can choose between: attachboot, eMMC boot, SD boot, etc. I don't get the menu as on the photo here: http://i.imgur.com/5HKgggR.jpg

The generated configure-uboot.sh was:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/19067425/

I changed EXT_CARD to INT_CARD, but the problem persists.

The package is: u-boot-flasher
It looks like you are running some other bootloader there. Make sure that Pali's U-Boot has been installed from the Extras repository and that no other bootloaders are installed which may interfere with it.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: