Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So, I spent a lot of time playing with it yesterday and had some, let's just say interesting results. All on J1.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Slow searches using OSM Scout Server.
I have added OSM Scout Server support for autocompletion on WhoGo side, but the server itself doesn't have any fancy algorithms made for such scenario specifically. It just runs the full search on every new input. So, maybe it has queued some searches before you get to the last of it.
You may be onto something here. I saw a few partial searches in the log last night. For example, searching for "Lancelot Court, Hull" took about 1:10 and yielded about 20 results, none of them to the exact place but all of them containing part of the address string (for example, "Hull Road, London" - made up as I do not remember the exact example but I hope you get my drift).

I could not reproduce it again, every subsequent search for the same address gave me one exact result. But I did see entries in the OSM server log that looked a bit like this (this is a repeated test this morning, with the same result):
Code:
INFO: 08:54:55 Request: /v1/search?limit=25&search=Lanc
INFO: 08:55:38 Parsed query [GB]: house: {lanc}; 
INFO: 08:55:38 Parsed query [GB]: h-0: {lanc}; 
INFO: 08:55:41 Request: /v1/search?limit=25&search=Lancelot+Court,+Hull
INFO: 08:56:19 Parsed query [GB]: city: {hull}; road: {lancelot court}; 
INFO: 08:56:19 Parsed query [GB]: h-0: {hull}; h-1: {lancelot court};
OK, I thought, I can understand partial search queries resulting from the instant search while typing. But what if I enter the address quickly, for example by pasting it or selecting from history? So I tried:
Code:
INFO: 09:04:16 Request: /v1/search?limit=25&search=Lancelot+Court,+Hull
INFO: 09:04:51 Parsed query [GB]: city: {hull}; road: {lancelot court}; 
INFO: 09:04:51 Parsed query [GB]: h-0: {hull}; h-1: {lancelot court};
As you can see, there is always a 30-40 seconds delay between the "Request" line and "Parsed query". That cannot be explained by partial searches.

Geocoder, again, and missing streets
This looks like a map problem rather than the maps client's. Here is my example. I searched for "Redwick Road, Magor" and got no results. Then I changed the search to just "Redwick Road" and found a match... in Magor! Except that the search result did not say it was in Magor, it said it was in Monmouthshire. Here is the query and the location for your entertainment:

Code:
INFO: 09:13:01 Request: /v1/search?limit=25&search=Redwick+Road
INFO: 09:13:02 Request: /v1/mbgl/style?style=osmbright-car-en
INFO: 09:13:35 Parsed query [GB]: road: {redwick road}; 
INFO: 09:13:35 Parsed query [GB]: h-0: {redwick road};
Name:  Screenshot_20180829_001.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  22.1 KB

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The voice instructions told me to turn into A404, which it pronounced as "eigh-four-four" instead of "eigh-four-oh-four". This happened several times, so I was not hearing it wrong. Or maybe I was but consistently
I noticed that again, on the same road. Then, about 30 minutes later, on the A423, the voice instructions said "eigh-four-twenty-tree" rather than the expected, "eigh-four-two-three".

So I guess something somewhere is trying to be too clever and splits longer numbers into groups of two digits. A423 into A-4-23, A404 into A-4-04. Then something else is being even more clever and shortens 04 into 4.

Lastly, I am encountering this issue every time, no matter how long or short the route or the navigation session is. It was first observed in WhoGo and is still present in Pure. Life is too short so I am always rebooting at the end of navigation.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: