Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Looks like Pure Maps is gaining popularity and more users, which is great. But, as it was anticipated by @otsaloma while he setup his own map server, we are getting close to the free tier limit at Mapbox (50K tiles). Looks like we are going to hit over 45K this month, with 42K by Sailfish users and 3K+ by Flathub users. At the same time, starting from the middle of December, the usage has been about 1.9K tiles per day. So, by the looks of it, we will hit the limits in January.

I have prepared for such increased usage by providing GUI for registration of personal Mapbox GL keys (support released already). Now its time for active users to register at Mapbox and enter the private key for it in Pure Maps settings.

Ideally, we could keep current arrangement where new users can test the maps without any registration. But that does require the users to be organized and offload their usage from the main pool.

Mapbox is the only problematic case so far. If you prefer to use online services but don't want to register, you could also switch to HERE tiles. Current HERE tiles are focused on traffic, but its easy to add more tile types if there is a demand for it.

Please note that as soon as I see that we are getting too close to the limits, I am planning to invalidate the key for Mapbox which will probably cause issues on startup for online profile users with Mapbox map provider.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: