View Single Post
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Optimizing your device

I have been doing this for years 'cause I never like to be slowed down. If I have a task and something is slowing me down I like to get rid of it - not the task but what is slowing me down. I have had many possibilities. I have changed the swap parameters, optimized performance to current task instead of saving resources for the backround programs, disabled all smoothing animations to get more rapid responses, disabled indexing, disabled all the update checks for both hardware drivers and programs, disabled automatic defragmentation, as an admin stopped all the services I didn't need, prevented most startup programs, disabled healthchecks and sanity checks from the hard drive, and run the machine like crazy 20 hours a day long periods of time. I have also started overclocking to the limits. I know what is the maximum limit for cpu but still try once and a while if I could hold a hundred more.

What I have gained? Where I have got myself? Not finding anymore files 'cause they are not indexed, the machine has become unstable and not being able to run hard tasks like before. And at last got myself heart problems. I started to think of this and understood that this my machine which I have used like this is now 43 years old. If I overclock it all the time, run 20 hours a day, disable all backround programs which have a purpose of keeping the machine in good shape, disable indexing and sanity checks, no wonder I start to forget things, not being able to do big tasks, and get sudden reboots.

I think it is time for me to slow down the machine and start to use it inside the factory limits and with the parameters ment for it. Not to run fast 10km sprints, multitask all the time with wrong nutrition and too little sleep. 43 years old machine and can't change it. Each year one year older. Sigh. The reality is sometimes so unpleasent place to live in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: