View Single Post
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Access to the design file of a small piece of silicone rubber or similar. That's not the same thing as the complete design of the keyboard assembly, along with unfettered rights to use it as desired.

At a minimum, it's access to an incomplete graphics layout, and an 'in' to the keyboard manufacturer. The community produces a simple updated graphic and supplies it to the manufacturer along with funding to produce a small run of replacement keyboards. They are of no use at all to anyone who doesn't posess both a Pro1 and a strong desire to type funny characters most of us couldn't pronounce.

Face facts, if the phone was a runaway success, ebay will be full of shoddy replacement keyboard membranes in months. Producing an 'almost right' community version is very possible. The addition of a small bit of support from F(x)tec could mean a 'properly right' version, which can only add to Pro1 sales, with no financial risk and only a small expenditure in time on their part.

I'm not pushing that Fx should support this, I'm only making the case that they could, and they might, if the community got the ball rolling.

Oh, and 2yr warranty... who cares? I'm a hardware engineer. Once a new 'thing' is out of it's box, and I've satisfied myself everything works as intended, then conceptually the warranty is void. I might disassemble, modify or break the thing the same day, not for months, or (rarely) never. But I don't I ever even stopped to think about the warranty

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: