View Single Post
Originally Posted by spag View Post
Jolla is focusing on governments and corporations for quite a while now because the community was not able to sustain them so I guess for SFOS itself nothing will change regardless of Librem 5 being a success or not.
If you would reread your statement, you could well conclude that the community is already irrelevant for Jolla, i.e. Jolla has all but abandoned them. (Or rather had to abandon.)
If Jolla still cares about that community, they should thank F(x)tec/Chen (and Sony!) on their bare knees for providing the necessary consumer hardware.

Saying that Purism are doing what Jolla promised to do before going B2B/G is an understatement: Purism make it their business to be - purely - opensource!
The potential of Purism to syphon the (opensource!) community is thus quasi unlimited, i.e. the community abandons the Jolla ship.

Expect Purism to deliver far more in six years time than Jolla has in the same time span (simply counting from initial smartphone delivery). (Somehow Purism has already done so at this very moment of first delivery!)

PS
This is no criticism towards Jolla. I'm still using my Jolla 1 fulltime and am bound to stay put with Sailfish OS as long as ... sensible.
It's just that the (potential soft)force of opensource is simply huge, and I'm more than impressed by Purism, by what they achieve - past, present ... and future.

Last edited by AardDevil; 2019-10-06 at 10:04.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AardDevil For This Useful Post: