View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Every time I think about this device and the way M$oft destroyed Nokia back then, I just feel deeply sad... Imagine how it could have been developed (hardware and software) with N9 and so on. I mean with full Nokia power, in all these years...
Well, you certainly are not alone ...

Sometimes I feel Amazed just playing with the multitasking menu's of the N900, wonder in retrospect how this could even exist.
How could Nokia be so stupid to announce this as a step 5 of 6: just wait us and see what's coming next thinking the competition had no means to fight back?

And to think I was torturing the N900 device by opening as many programs (that's how I called "apps" back then) as possible and fantasize how within the next year or 2 on the successor and "final step" all that would be smooth as butter.

Then Microsoft decided it could not allow Linux craziness to spill over to Mobile to Desktop and put an end to all that ... and while doing so they also ended the development behind the only affordable European camera company besides Hasselblad & Leica that would make popular the camera that can call.

Stories aside, fact is it's a hugely missed opportunity for having really usable smartphones.
How could we ever imagine that the mobile phone industry would be taking a decade or even more to get back on track?
Still hoping Americans will take the lead where Nokia dropped the ball with their Purism still in its infant diaper?

N9 with its el cheapo PC design, IMO was already a vastly degraded device over the N900 if not for the 1GB of RAM but it still had to exist in parallel offering the capability to win over the consumers already then getting tired of Android and iOS on every other hardware as can be read in the Engadget review of the time.