View Single Post
Originally Posted by xman View Post
This post has left me less confident in the leadership of Purism, https://jaylittle.com/post/view/2019...ibrem-5-part-2

Who know if it's true, but make a lot of sense. Hopefully doesn't ruin the company future.
Oh-My-God.

I just read part 1, which itself drops a few bombs:

Most notably among those things is the ability to make and receive traditional phone calls. Sure we've seen screenshots of it calling people, but we've never actually heard it do this. This is important because according to Purism's own public issue tracker, call audio currently has severe unresolved problems, meaning that its currently not possible to comfortably make a traditional phone call on the Librem 5. In addition, Todd Weaver openly admitted in one of his videos with Gardiner, that the phones camera and bluetooth hardware does not yet function. He also stated that battery life is still rather poor as he himself requires two fully charged batteries himself to get through a full day. In addition the phone still lacks proper power management and future iterations will be re-engineered to include a heat pipe that will help with the current thermal issues.

Finally, despite the fact that Purism heavily implied on the original crowdfunding page that it was supposed to be powered by a full FOSS stack, it has now been made clear that the phone will have to use proprietary firmware blobs for a variety of onboard devices.

Despite all of these issues, they are saying this device is ready to be shipped to customers.
Actually one should read the whole trilogy: one, two, three - in its entirety. Really.

Like you said: Who know if it's true, but make a lot of sense.
It certainly explains why I've never seen an actual review (as in "I am using this as my mobile device now, and this is my verdict").

Let me get one thing clear:
I don't really care if Purism are an arsehole company. We all use devices from arsehole companies every day and can be quiet content & happy about it.
I don't care if the Librem 5 is ridiculously overpriced - we all know that's how it goes when you produce in small numbers.
I don't even care that they a few promises about the phone being 100% FOSS, soft and hard. Really, one or two blobs are OK for me.

But I do care that there doesn't seem to be a single Purism 5 in existence that actually works!
I do care about a bunch of FOSS developers that develop software for a device that does not exist!
Not to speak of all the backers and pre-orderers that are being fed lies after lies after lies.

What a clusterf**k.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: