View Single Post
It's been a decade since I was active here. Just curious what all the old folks who were using N800/N810/N900/etc devices back in the day are using now. I know some of you are probably still using your old devices but I have a feeling most of us have moved on to other, newer devices.

Personally I got a N810 in 2008, and a N900 in 2010 (my first smartphone!). Both of which I sold many years ago. Over the years I've gone through many devices mainly iOS and Android. It seems that the smartphone has really replaced the concept of an "internet tablet." Today I have a Samsung Note 10+ and an iPhone 11 Pro Max. While today's devices are leagues better than those from 10 years ago, there are still some key things I really miss today from my old Nokia devices, mainly:

• Headphone jack: after Apple removed it in the iPhone 7, all other manufatures followed suit. I get that wireless headphones have their perks too, but I'm not a fan of having to replace my expensive headphones every couple years due to worn out batteries.
  • Removable battery: In my opinion this is getting to be less of a big deal than it used to be because fast charging has gotten so fast, but I still don't like that it's so difficult to replace the batteries when they wear out on modern phones. I understand that's the price we pay for having waterproof phones but it's still a bummer.
  • Physical keyboard: virtual keyboards and predictive input has certainly improved a lot since 2010 but I still miss being able to use the keyboard as a controller for games. Yes it's possible to use real Bluetooth gamepads now but they don't fit in my pocket.
  • Open-philosophy OS: Perhaps the biggest casualty of the modern era of smartphones. Even the formerly fairly open Android seems to be heading more and more down a path of locked-down, proprietariness. There are some attempts at more open OSes such as Librem 5's PureOS but it's hard to see these alternatives becoming mainstream and getting proper third party software support.

Anyway, what about you? What devices are you using today?