View Single Post
I backed it, then asked for a refund after I read up a bit on their past campaigns. Their reputation for supporting previous devices (Gemini, Cosmo) is just ****.

Supposedly they completely dropped support for the Gemini at this point, and while some backers are still waiting for their Cosmo to be delivered they went ahead and started a new campaign for the Astro. I've seen this behaviour before by another company during another campaign I backed on Kickstarter (for a watch), it's not good. Often means they don't have any money left and hope to raise money with a new campaign.

From what I've read software wise the Cosmo is left with Android 9 full of bugs (much less polished and adapted for landscape/hardware-keyboard than FxTech Pro 1 for example), and they've just released an alpha-quality version of Linux with KDE Plasma with all kinds of random crashes and drivers not working just last month. I think they won't get everything working either, seeing as the Cosmo (and the Astro as well) is based on a closed source Mediatek SoC, and I doubt they'll be able to get the drivers for it, and if they do, they need to get them working under Linux, which I doubt even more.

So, at first sight it all looks good, but looking at the current state of the Gemini and the Cosmo, I don't dare to risk my money, then wait for at least a year, and likely be disappointed with an unfinished product.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post: