Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Over some period of time (interrupted by other projects), new release is out: 1.27.0

As always, translations have been updated and I am planning to make point releases to update the rest. Thank you all translators involved in the project!

This release brings support to compass. While not all devices with SFOS have compass, there have been few changes with this. Right now, there are two merge requests under review which should improve the support for hybris and non-hybris devices. Let's see how it will go and whether my patches can help to improve the hardware support.

On Pure Maps side, compass can be used to show orientation of your phone. To enable functionality, you have to opt-in in the preferences (section Compass). Compass will be used (read: device will be active) if

* position and your speed has been determined. aka, GPS "fix" is there
* you are either exploring map or navigating on bike or foot.
* your speed is below 10km/h

If these conditions are met, there will be orientation arrow on your location pointing towards the direction of your device. You can also let the map to reorient depending on your direction - so it will rotate according to compass by switching on autorotate.

Note that it works if the phone screen is facing towards the sky, up to just below perpendicular with the ground. If you turn the phone upside down, it may get confused in landscape mode. Same rules should apply down under.

Compass orientation is adjusted to magnetic declination, of interest for those where its not small. The used model should be valid till 2025 (https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/geomag.shtml).

Pure Maps can now prevent device from sleeping while allowing you to switch off the screen. Again, you have to enable it in Preferences/Devices. This allows you to (finally!) use Pure Maps for navigation while keeping the phone in your pocket. It will keep GPS positioning up to date and can give instructions by voice. That was requested a while ago and is finally done.

Pure Maps has switched to Nemo.KeepAlive 1.2, no more warnings should be issued.

Preferences (we have a lot of them, unfortunately) are rearranged in more logical order. Let's hope its better now.

Other changes concern Kirigami: switching the main menu to the right for easier interaction by mouse, dark themes support, and improvement of forms.

UBPorts, unfortunately, seem to lack compass support and support for preventing device going to sleep (or its rather orthogonal with the platform expectations), so the changes there are more about packaging done by UBPorts package mantainer. Interestingly, though, number of downloads of the last version in UBPorts was 6800+, compared to 3000 downloads from Sailfish users. How well it reflects number of users on the platforms, cannot say. But, I was surprised to see these numbers.

Enjoy the release and let me know if something is broken.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: