View Single Post
I need GPS/navigation (not the turn-by-turn directions, just the "show me where I am and let me follow along so I figure out where to walk to or when the bus is approaching the stop I need to get off at")

I need public transport journey planning (but any phone I buy should come with a web browser good enough that I can use the online journey planner and not need the official app or the Fahrplan thing I was using on the N900)

I need calls and SMS (but not MMS).

I need a decent web browser (so I can e.g. access my web email on the go, google for stuff, look up the address and phone number of business, look up the prices of stuff online etc)

I need calculator (so I can do basic calculations when I need to) and camera/photos (both as a reminder if I am looking at something and want to remember that thing and as a way to take a quick photo of something and then email it or otherwise share it)

I need notes (so I can make notes of things I want to remember)

I need time/date (since my phone is how I check what time and day it is)

I need 4G on 2100/1800/850.

I need decent battery life

I need a phone that isn't full of unremovable bloatware.

I need a phone (Android, Linux or otherwise) that is in compliance with the GPL and all the other software licenses they need to comply with (I refuse to give my money to anyone who is knowingly profiting off copyright violations by not releasing the GPL'd kernel source or releasing incomplete or incorrect source)

I need a phone that's usable as a daily driver and not something where you need to do lower level things or poke around in the bowels of the OS just to do the normal stuff.

The nice-to-have-but-not-essential features:
Physical keyboard (gotten used to the one on my N900)

Some decent free (100% free, no microtransactions or other crap) games available to play on the device when e.g. I am on a bus or otherwise out and about and have time I want to kill.

Something that has decent privacy protections (i.e. not loaded down with spyware and crapware in the way most phones)

Something that will continue to get support going forward (OS updates etc)

Something that is hackable in the way the N900 is hackable (i.e. not full of binary blobs getting in the way)

Something that doesn't cost a thousand dollars or more and that isn't going to take 6 months or something before I can get one here in Brisbane, Australia.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post: