View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France

https://github.com/sailfish-containe...our-containers

My PR to harbour-containers has been merged, it should now work much better than the upstream one that was using qxdisplay and, most of all, could no longer configure X in new containers properly.

Instructions have been simplified, with just 3 packages to install from one single place (and hopefully from Chum soon), better default settings for X scaling and Onboard vkb, and most of all without the need to tweak things manually to debug container creation.

- 3 packages to install from a single OBS repo,
- no need to manually debug things when creating a debian-based container or work around the Xwayland compilation,
- dynamic rotation,
- sane default settings for X scaling and Onboard (for non-hwkb devices),
- simplified instructions,
- new icon :O,
- no polkit prompts for nothing after boot.

Unfortunately, only armv7hl and aarch64 are supported. We used to manually patch sources of Xwayland and build from that, which broke when Xwayland dropped support for autotools. I fixed that issue and the compilation step in the installation script now would work, but it appears that Xwayland sources no longer support a protocol that we need for SailfishOS, so I just plain and simple disabled that whole part of the installation (it's still there in `/usr/share/harbour-containers/scripts/guest/setups/debian.sh`, but commented out, if some want to play with it). That means we're back to just fetching binaries that were pre-built in 2020, and we only have armv7hl and aarch64 available sadly.

I'll make another post if some important changes are made, or if this makes it to the Chum repository for easier installation.

X looks like this at first boot now, which should definitely be a lot more usable (but I still advise to configure things to set up as many keybindings as possible to manipulate the WM):

Last edited by Kabouik; 2022-08-19 at 10:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: