View Single Post
Well, while I'm more in the GA camp here, first let me point out a practical issue that needs resolution:
I went to the Xournal 0.4.2.1 thread (just exploring the new section and how it works), and when I get through to the big download button, the install file is served with type text/html. Opera, naturally, wants to save it as xournal.htm; this is not so good...

Then, second, to jump into the flamewar:
I think fragmentation is bad. I haven't tried downloading, but I think this lets people easily use this as a single host for their releases. If you required the project to be already uploaded somewhere, but would mirror it from there (we've all seen sites go down permanently or temporarily), then it would encourage developers to use garage, or to self-host (as many already do). It would be a bit of a hassle, but I'm sure anyone who couldn't self-host, and wouldn't do garage, could find some sort of temporary hosting to get the file up, so you wouldn't really lock out people, you'd just make correct habits easier than incorrect ones.

And, lastly:
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
I am worried about the fragmentation issue, but what I REALLY want is some clear documentation on the procedure for creating/distributing/announcing software. Can we come to a consensus on that? Even if we do have several correct "paths" (e.g. garage, maemo.org/downloads, forum, etc.), I want to be able to reference a document and point others to it as well.
On this, I think the best procedure, assuming you're a single primary developer, not a team, is to:
  1. Write some code, get it to a decent state where other devs can reasonably play with it.
  2. Get a garage page and put it in SVN.
  3. (optional) Post in the Devs forum here about the project, if you're interested in having help.
  4. Work on it till it's alpha quality, and release alpha debs in garage.
    • Post debs in the itT Download section.
  5. Work till it's beta quality (and release).
    • Get it in maemo.org extras-devel repo
    • Post .install on itT Download
    • Make a maemo.org downloads entry
  6. Finally, production releases are posted around as before, but in maemo.org extras repo.
That's my understanding of how it ought to work; but I'm no pro. And yes, it's a lot of work, and I can't really blame anyone for shying away and skipping steps. But that's what you should do, I think...

If everyone discusses this and comes to a consensus, it can be wikified here. I'll be shocked.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: