View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You can make festival say some text (the equivalent of flite -t text command) with the following command:

echo "Hello world" | festival --tts
And I have no idea why they call that voice an "American Male" ... American Cyborg?

EDIT: I wasn't joking about leaving out the 16kHz voices, I was thinking that the design aesthetic of the Tablets is to keep everything small and minimalist, so the 8kHz voices would be fine ($10 says that flite uses 8kHz voices). But 16kHz voices should be available as an option. Options are good. I wish some of the female voices were available for Debian. My tablet shouldn't talk with a male voice; my wife insists that she is the mistress, or "the 6itch"

EDIT2: Penguinbait, I just found a more direct way to get audio to work in Festival, when I was poking around init.scm trying to figure out how to change to a different voice. Turns out there's an (undocumented) Audio_Method called esdaudio, so you only need to add one line to festival.scm:

Code:
(Parameter.set 'Audio_Method 'esdaudio)
EDIT3: Here's a fun page for testing out what the different voices sound like:

http://festvox.org/voicedemos.html

EDIT4: Can anyone find / build a .deb of the slt_arctic_hts (female American) voice? Please?

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-10 at 00:03.