Thread: WiFi performace
View Single Post
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
There is at least on n810 project that I have not worked on because the performance of the unit on WiFi is just *that bad* considering what it should be capable of.

Right now using

Code:
wget http://host/file -O /dev/null
as the basis for testing and I can get 750kB/s down, some reports claim up to 1mB/s using netperf. This is 1/10'th the theoretical limit of 802.11g.

I have tried many different tweaks and they all top out at a very anemic 750kB/s, with many good networks topping out at only 500kB/s.

some of the things I have tried
  • Changing to performance governor
  • tweaking sysctl
  • changing power saving settings
  • using ssh
  • downloading to mmc
  • different AP's

I know it's not the network as other WiFi devices easily dwarf it in terms of performance. I'm not asking for 50MB/s I would be happy with it being able to push 3+MB/s over the interface. At the maximum speed of 750kB/s it would take 30+ minutes to push 1GB vs no more than 6 minutes over USB. To update a 6GB music library it would take 3+ hours over WiFi and no more than 36 minutes over USB.

A little more perspective is that my wife's iPod nano will easily upload 6-7GB of music in a few minutes.