View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
A 1 GB limit on 3G is IMO a lot but it depends on what you'd use it for.

IMO the current wireless options in the NIT (WiFi & BT, eventually WiMAX) don't cut it for the mobility of the NIT I have in mind.

I wonder, those people who are against a 3G module on the NIT: do you already own a phone with 2/2.5/3G access which you're using? Besides the added price or that you wouldn't use it -- why are you against 3G on the NIT? One I can think of is the battery life, but an idle 3G chip uses about 40-70 mA.

For me, I hate mobile phones, and love SIP. I'd love to be able to use SIP for my phonecalls instead of a mobile phone. An on-board 3G chipset on the NIT would provide this, as well as (near) 24/7 e-mail via IMAP(S), and its useful for GPS as well (especially if you use Maemo Mapper but also for traffic information although a on-board radio would provide this too). It means I don't need to buy a phone with data plan just to use my NIT 24/7. It means I don't have to carry a phone around. It means I don't have to worry about the battery life of my phone.

PS: If one decides to clone Apple please don't clone their 3G functionality