View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
So what, because Sony delayed the availability of the PSP in the European market, European 770 customers whose orders have yet to be filled and all waiting US customers should be thankful the wait won't be that long? Sorry, but as a paying customer, I have the right to express dissatisfaction when a company botches a launch. It not only impacts the short term issue of availability, but could have a lasting effect on the 770's long term viability. It's easy to encourage people to cut Nokia slack when you already have yours...

And yes, I am moody this evening.

Jeff
You're perfectly entitled to be moody!

I guess my point is, perhaps Nokia would have been better off not announcing the US launch until two or three months after the European launch (ie. Jan 2006 at the earliest) - perhaps Nokia should have filled all the European orders first, then announced the US launch only once the demand had been satisfied in Europe.

That's the sort of thing they could have done, and maybe should have done given the demand. I'm sure that would have gone down less well than waiting the few weeks you all are now. Nokia have dropped the ball big time in terms of expectation management, and with all the negative publicity would have been better off keeping the US waiting for months, instead they're doing their best to get units to the US as soon as possible. And for their efforts they're accused of "potentially harming the future of the 770" - I guess they figure they can't win!

Hopefully demand significantly outstripping supply can be taken as a "good thing", and will have no effect whatsoever on the long term viability of this product or any successors.

And yes, it's easier for me to make these comments as I already have one - but then I also waited for a PSP... and eventually gave up and ordered one from Japan 6 months before the European launch. While I didn't pony up the money to Sony and then have to wait, I do have some understanding of what you're going through. At least Nokia seem pretty honourable and doing their best, which is the last thing that comes to mind when talking about Sony these days...