View Single Post
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I agree to a certain extent (well minus the pretty good Linux knowledge). If your willing to learn somewhat (or at least willing to read and follow instructions) then the device can do alot. Most of the software isn't really made easy for the user, having the user have to add extras to their list of repositories is already a step to much for most people.

But otherwise the device's hardware has gotten quite dated so it's no surprise it's slower when compared to the iPod Touch. If we were to compare the next Maemo device to the iPhone / iPod Touch it'd be more interesting. Though then you could argue that it's unfair for the iPod touch since the hardware might be in favor for the Maemo device.
You are right, i didnt' realize at this point how old are the nokia tablets compared the ipod touch (by the way, somewhere i read that the n810 has a powervr chip somewehat similar to the one found in the ipod touch but in the initial os release didnt have any driver to take advantage of it when it was released... is there a driver now?)

If adding repositories and choosing applications was the only thing i needed to do i would have declared the 810 the ultimate winner over the ipod. Most of the time i have spent with my tablet so far have been looking for information in the forums or google-searching about setting up this toy.

I might sound frustraded right now ... maybe because i spent the day fighting with the device, but don't think it's a waste, come think of it ... it's an INTERNET TABLET and:

1) browsing the web in such a screen is awesome

2) the battery lasting time is mind-blowing (bought my device in a ebay-type site so it's not new and still i cant believe i can stay for hours browsing the web and watch the battery metter still over 75% XDDD)