View Single Post
Originally Posted by fms View Post
No, it is because the do not want to know. The costs of moving the whole industry to OpenOffice and hiring Linux gurus to babysit it are just too high.
What Linux gurus? Installing OpenOffice in Windows is as easy as installing Office in Windows. Surely the same IT professionals can handle that? If not they might want to find a new profession if they can't handle clicking .exe files?

Now if you had a valid complaint about OpenOffice (such as how it handles things different, such as formatting, or people may have to relearn some features or where to find features) that would be more valid. But then again with the recent Office 2007 interface change OpenOffice has more in common with previous Office versions interface wise than Office 2007. There are valid reasons why OpenOffice isn't as fully functional as Office (though depending on the type of business and what features they use they could be saving money if they never used those features and instead went with OpenOffice).

Edit:

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Why do you hope that this has nothing to do with Maemo.
Its an additional choice. And having such a big company and more importantly a big office productivity app on Maemo will only make Maemo more important in the market. Do you not want that ? Or do you want Maemo to have apps like iFart only ?

And if you do not want MS Office on your tablet, I am sure you will be free not to install it.
Exactly. I welcome choice and alternatives when it comes to software. I hope somebody else works on OpenOffice or other competitors (Abiword, etc..) as well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...