View Single Post
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's cheaper for them to subscribe to the de facto standard than to try something new that may reduce some licensing fees, pay a bit of migration\training fees and are still exposed to some 'unknowns' in the future. Potential compatibility, support & longevity issues.

Unfortunately OO.o isn't a direct 1:1 MSOffice replacement.
Oh I know that. Which is why I say that it's not a perfect replacement, it's dependent on what you need to do. But say if you write papers, your not going need MSOffice, OpenOffice does the job perfectly (I've written all my papers with OpenOffice actually). Likewise with OO's spreadsheet program, if your an accountant your not going use that over Excel. Again for the same reason a professional photographer wouldn't use GIMP or Paint.net over Photoshop. But not every user that wants to do some basic image editting needs Photoshop.

Though I don't understand your statement. "May reduce some licensing fee". How would it only be may? As well as pay for migration and training fees? Migration is free, it's just an installation (something they're usually doing anyway. And depending on how IT has set it up, it could be as simple as replacing MSOffice with OpenOffice in an image). As for training, if they were upgrading to MSOffice 2007 they were retraining their employees anyway due to the interface changes thanks to the ribbon.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...