View Single Post
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
The more megapixels a camera has, the crappier the individual pixels become. Phones shouldn't have more than one or two megapixels, otherwise they can only take decent pictures outdoors on sunny days. This is hte case here, and the case with almost all of these 5mp cameras. I would rather have the same 3mp as the iPhone, or less ideally.

One of the best SLRs for low light photography is the Nikon D40,because it has only 6mp. Compare the size of the D40 to the size of the n900 to see what a 5 or 6mp camera needs to look like to actually take decent photos.

This picture is only 1.3mp, http://www.flickr.com/photos/asimula...29722/sizes/o/ but I doubt anyone would argue that it looks worse than the 5mp pictures from the N900. The colors are better, the lighting is better, the image is sharper and cleaner. This could have been achieved on a cameraphone if the phone had a properly designed 1.3mp sensor instead of a marketing designed 5mp sensor.
I am not an expert on photography but the advantage of more mpx for me is that i can zoom and crop the photo a little more and still get acceptable clarity. Nokia gives you the option of shooting at any MPx you want to shoot. May be you can use that to shoot 1.3 mega pixel shots.