View Single Post
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Hold it right there. This is what I was talking about. You view applications like products like you potentially did with Symbian and the iPhone. Well, for better or worse, things don't work that way in Fremantle (yet).
Of course they do. That's why Nokia has an app store. Applications are products. Most people who buy the N900 are buying a product to do certain jobs. If the jobs require additional applications they buy (or acquire, if they're free) those that they need. The end result is, ideally, a functioning product, regardless of how it was assembled.

If I need to sync with Outlook, I want a product that does that and does it reliably. I don't care if it's from Microsoft or Nokia or Joe the Developer. I don't care what it's written in. I don't care if it's open source, freeware, shareware, or commercial [with many unlimited plans running over $1000 per year, a few bucks for applications is minor]. I just want it to work.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Right now, today, you're best off learning Qt and thus uniting Maemo and Symbian codebases. And for all intents and purposes, Android is not Linux.
Right now, today, if you want to make money off your product and Maemo and Symbian are your only choices you should ignore Maemo and focus on Symbian. If the N900 turns out to be a success you can try to port it later. If you are programming for yourself, buy a phone you like and program for it. If you like the N900 and are willing to wait, fine.