View Single Post
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Macon, Georgia U.S.A.
Misery loves company, Adam in NYC. I had my new N800 for just a week when it went into "3 second endless reboot" mode. Damn frustrating! Tried some of the various fixes discussed here, with no success. So, I sent the unit to Palco in Alabama. A few days later, I checked the Nokia USA Repair Status website, and also got the "out of warranty" message (as you did with your problematic N800).
So, I promptly (& apoplectically) called Palco. A gentle southern lass named Patricia assured me the "out of warranty" status was a mistake - and that the N800 would be forwarded for repair. Well, that was ten days ago (2/12). Today, the Nokia USA repair site still shows my N800 as "out of warranty." I again talked to Patricia at Palco, and she politely informed that Nokia will be sending me a replacement tablet - but it might take a month!
I think Palco has been good about explaining what's going on. But I agree with some others on this forum - Palco doesn't want to mess with some new-fangled gadget with an embedded Linux OS. (They're MS, Novell network & cell phone people.) But Patricia mentioned some delays in getting replacement N800s from Nokia. She also mentioned that I should call Nokia customer service and attempt to expedite replacement. My question is: should I call Nokia & *****, or just shut-up and wait for a new N800?
The upshot to all this? I've fallen in love again with my 770! The N800 is very slick (when it's not in endless reboot mode) but it lacks the 60's retro spy gadget look & feel of the 770. And I really miss the sliding aluminum cover! The N800 just seems more fragile than the 770. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Peace, y'all!