View Single Post
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
If manufacturers start duplicating MAC addresses in manufacturing runs then a lot of customers would end up with tons of problems. It sounds unlikely to me that they do, or customers would have raised hell by now. We would have had trouble at work, as we buy batches of computers all the time. We don't fiddle with the MAC address. We register them though, then we plug all the new boxes into the network. No dups so far..
If a practice of producing equipment with unchanging MAC addresses exists then it doesn't seem to be followed by vendors like HP or Dell, at least.
It doesn't happen every day. I haven't see an unintentional duplicate MAC in over 10 years...but I haven't done bulk desktop stuff since then.

Also, it's highly improbably that you would even notice in most cases. If you buy a batch of 200 PCs, do they all end up in the same IP subnet? If not, you won't see the conflict. If you're using DHCP to register everything, how many DHCP servers do you have vs DHCP relays? Again, as long as the MAC is on it's own broadcast domain, you don't have a problem, but it *does* happen...and I'm not alone.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dupli...ress+-spoofing