View Single Post
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Why are so many reviews comparing the dashboard to Palm's cards? Based on the screenshots I've seen, they're not alike at all, except that both have live previews.

And saying that they were "popularized by webOS" is a bit disingenuous since it launched less than half a year before the N900. Both are devices of the same generation, and I'm sure Nokia knew what they were going to do before the Pre launched. (Plus, the N900 is going to sell better, if we go by the strict meaning of "popularize".)
While I certainly wouldn't call the Pre a smashing success (being tied to Sprint for the launch pretty much guaranteed that wasn't going to be the case), I don't think for an instant that the N900 will sell more units.

Nokia doesn't release sales info for the N900 (except to say that it's "met expectations"), and Palm doesn't break sales figures out by device, but just the fact that the Pre is sold subsidized I'd argue pretty much means it'll sell more (and as it's Palm's hail mary pass to stay relevant, it had better).

As to the webos cards comparison, I think it makes sense. A smarphone user who sees both an N900 in use and a Palm Pre can see that both systems have a view where all the open applications are shrunk and let you move from one to another.

Just be happy they didn't compare it to expose on a Mac