View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm in two minds about this...

Video Convert is an amazingly good program, with a nice and easy to learn user interface (I don't believe in "intuitive" user interfaces), it does its thing without a hitch and produces the output the user wanted.

But...

When a converter produces files that are actually larger than the Divx files it converts, I'm inclined to say: "Thanks, but I need the card space". A 704 MB Divx of "the African Queen" (480x352) topped off at over 1 GB for the N800 converted file (320x240), while VirtualDub gives me a file of around 350 MB for the same resolution. We could go on about the amazing advantages of high bitrates for video and sound, but the simple fact is that I can't see the former and don't really care about the latter.

I wonder if it would be possible, for the simpletons among us, to get an option to set a maximum file size, something I find much more important in a space-deprived mobile media player than home theatre-quality output. Or maybe a box that gives an educated guess of the size for various bitrates. Obviously, that would imply the possibility for the user to change the bitrates...
Funny. A second try, with the new version (fps set to 23.976 and double pass eliminated), gives a file of 445 MB. Still a bit high, but much more acceptable. However, I can't believe that merely doublepassing a file would more than double its size, so I'm assuming some optimizing has been going on, right?