Thread: Maemo Advocacy
View Single Post
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, time to report on the Finland adventure.

First, specific to tablets: I did not have my laptop on the trip and was forced to live on the N800.
<snip>
The next tablet-specific item may be of interest to several posters here. I was taken to task some time back because I expressed the opinion that not all browser errors were due to the tablet/browser. This assertion was based mainly on my own experience, ie, where I used the same device/OS that others used and didn't experience those problems. Suffice to say that while in Finland I encountered NUMEROUS browser crashes, many fatal (shutting down all Opera windows). Once I returned home to the comfort of my own wifi, they dramatically reduced in number.

As far as I'm concerned, this bolsters what I said before: there MUST be other factors involved, such as routing, ISP config, signal strength, etc. Maybe even the "right" combination of factors. I experienced the most problems while using the Helsinki Radisson's wifi, which had an open signal but authenticated via a web page.
<snip>
Anyway, the good news is that this experience showed me that if the browser compatibility problem can be resolved, the N800 can 100% replace a laptop in the work environment I am developing for. That was very encouraging!

Oh, and overall, Finland was great. I developed leg problems that required brief hospitalization (probably gout they say) and the doctors were great. $150 euros for everything! A fraction of the US costs.

Bad news is, I did not get to visit with my friends in tablet program...

Good to hear from you and your adventures! Like yourself I am finding more and more I am living from the tablet, not by design. It's just happening. I would be interested to know what sort of equipement you have at home. I have a old IBM gateway and it works well for now but out and about can be a pain. Although I've found those AP's that authenticate through a web page generally won't let me on using my laptop, SUSE 10.2. The most trouble I get is from hotels and the least is from coffee shops and ATT wifi hotspots. Go figure. Sorry to hear about your health problems, glad to hear you got it taken care of! Most of all I'm happy to see you got through the last year when Nokia shut down/moved several US locations. Thanks for the updates, I'm following your adventures closely. I was a very good boy and have received an 800 for my birthday but since it's my busy time now I haven't taken time to transfer anything yet.

Best Wishes for the Future,

Peter