View Single Post
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Why do I say this? Nokia has clearly stated that they will be supporting the Nokia WRT (Web RunTime) engine based on WebKit in Harmattan forward. Why would they have two big bulky browser engines on a limited-resources device?
AFAIK WebKit support is built-in Qt, so considering Harmattan is Qt based, they have no choice of not supporting it.

But that does not necessary mean, that the browser will be WebKit based. Let me explain a bit Maemo browser architecture.

MicroB is not N900 web browser.

N900 web browser is called... Browser.
It's a high level component providing the UI for the web browsing. The rest is provided by EAL - Engine Abstraction Layer - which is remote-controlled by browser with D-BUS calls. EAL is a component (a daemon in Maemo 5) that provides the web browsing engine. The default EAL provided in N900 is Mozilla Gecko based and is called MicroB.

This architecture allows for easy engine replacement - either by Nokia, the OEM or the user.

I don't know whether that architecture will be used in MeeGo, but I hope so. This will allow the freedom of choice - not leaving you with "the one" chosen by the manufacturer.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post: