View Single Post
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi Reggie,

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Based on the meeting, here are the proposed/pending changes for Talk, and my comments about them:
Thanks Reggie, good to see your comments!

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions (although of course I can't speak for others).

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Enable email to forum bridge:
Let's revisit this once forum.meego.com is off the same server as talk.maemo.org (this should happen in a few months). Emailing thousands of users for every new post will surely have a big effect on the server. If we really want to implement this efficiently, we should consider using a different dedicated email server to send and receive the emails.
Do you have any numbers on the effect on the server, Reggie? On the email to forum bridge, how many people signed up for it, how many emails were sent, etc? I can understand you're hesitant, but I'd really like this to go live for at least the community forum, and see how it works. It can always be reverted if the load is too heavy.

Add RSS feeds of posts per thread, and per forum (currently the RSS feed is "new threads in forum")
This, I'm a bit hesitant of implementing. Actually, I'm not sure why we need it. It's like asking for an RSS feed for all your emails, when you can just read your emails via an email client. If it is being requested as a workaround for the email to forum bridge, then if the bridge is implemented, do we really need the RSS feed per post?
It seems like it would not be difficult to do it.

The point is, if someone is interested in a forum, right now they must visit the forum to be notified of and read new posts. If it were possible to easily add an RSS feed for a thread or for a forum, then why not? Another way for people to consume the forum.

Cheers,
Dave.