View Single Post
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
I picked one up over the weekend and just saying "Me too" on many of the positive comments.

However, I did mistakenly assume there was a native Skype client. Well, I guess there is, but it is exclusive to Verizon. While I'm very happy overall with T-Mobile, their coverage sucks in my living room. To get around this I set up a Skype-in number and forward incoming TMO calls to it when the phone isn't registered on the cell network. This works surprisingly well, and on the N900, it is of course seamless. I didn't expect that level of integration, but at least make an app available (that isn't crippled to not allow WiFi calls).

That's the biggest disappointment. I think the lousy state of podcast clients is another, and I'm a bit surprised to see how much I'm missing Weave sync bookmarks and tabs.

I'd also like to see better reviews on the marketplace. Everything is either ****** best app ever penned by humans! or * bricked my phone, with no real reviews. I guess that's something that will come in time, but it shows that a lot of the comments are from 1st time smartphone users.

The navigation is OK, but going through a dead zone showed the main weakness. The compass seems to be worthless, and I've read several comments on the nets about that as well. The radio on the N900 seems to be a little better, and the N900 does a much better job switching from 3G/Cellular radio to WiFi.

So I'm going to keep it and switch the simcard when the mood strikes. All the complaints seem to go away when the big bright screen lights up. And I've already downloaded several books on the Kindle app, and I can already tell that's going to get expensive real soon. Once I can get Audible books again, I may be able to switch permanently, but for now I need an automatic podcast client, and GPodder is the best I've found.