View Single Post
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Definitely something broken in the drawing pipeline, most probably due to processing more tiles than usual due to the speed.
I suspect the automatic tile download mechanism might be causing this. It basically spawns a thread for every tile that is not found in the local storage.
Provided you are moving fast enough and have a bad Internet connection at the same time, there can be quite a few threads that are contesting for bandwidth and each can live for up to 30 seconds, before its connection times out.
I guess a limit on the number of concurrent auto-download threads might be in order.

But this still should not cause a black screen - just a slowdown, so there is probably also something related, that breaks the drawing.
I've been having lots of these and it is not related to moving. But seems many processes are started and they don't die.

What happens to me, I just try to prenavigate an area where I'll be going, basically just look at the map, move the cursor around. After a set period of time of doing this, let's say 10 minutes, it will always black when moving further, i.e. you move the screen more to a new area let's say south of where you are looking, and it turns completely back. If you move it back south to where you were before the move, the tiles appear. It would seem like a memory leak or something.

Anyhow this happens when driving also, notably, when autocentered, the map would turn black, when clicking on the screen, which turned the autocenter off, the map would appear, and the moving cursor, too. Then as I'd be driving it'd move of the map, autocenter again - black, click the screen - the map is there, if autocenter right away - black... And so on...

Very annoying... It looks to bee like too many concurrent processes, or don't know, but it's not downloading the tiles, as they are already there, but still black...