View Single Post
Maemo is optimized. Graphically, it doesn't perform the best. Still runs fine, just not great. The OS itself though is pretty quick.

Keep in mind, since most of Nokia's products are Symbian-based, even if Maemo wasn't optimized, they're still doing pretty well.

Maemo/MeeGo will need more horsepower due to their architecture
I don't understand this. Clocked at 600Mhz A8, and 256MB of RAM, I've seen a PR1.1 and PR1.2 N900 run 16+ applications flawlessly, with about no lag. PR1.3 and overclocked to 1Ghz is fabulous.

MeeGo shouldn't require anymore power than Maemo does. The UI will be properly handled by the GPU so that'll take some load off the processor. If anything, slightly more RAM would be needed. Hypothetically however, MeeGo should run better than Maemo.

Edit:
The link below my post also strongly reiterates what I'm talking about.

Edit again:

Only using 180.1 megabytes of the N900s "pathetic" 256 megabytes of ram. No slowdowns, OS is running smooth. Only lag was experienced when I went to go close all of those applications, the framerate dropped slightly then.

Of course, you would rarely ever run this many applications, but it goes to show if you wanted to truly multitask with 4 or 5 major applications, the N900's "pathetic" Cortex A8 can handle it.

I didn't overclock by the way, downscaled back to 250 and 600.

Having an optimized OS on my N900... I wish!
So what are you running on your N900 exactly? Windows Mobile?

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-08 at 23:45. Reason: More points.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post: