View Single Post
Originally Posted by =DC=
I have to concur with Remote User on this one. The display is great in terms of the cost to quality ratio, and that goes for the entire device features in my opinion. I was going to get a x51v late last year, but decided to hold off and see what new devices came out in 2006. I'm glad I did, the 770 is the first device I've seen that does more than I expected it to. It is true that there will possibly be some great new mobile devices that will vie for the current possition that the 770 is at in the months to come, but I think there will be few if any that will get it right.

My hope is that Nokia built the 770 at this particular price point and with the current design choices simply to test the waters, and see if the market for an internet tablet is truly there. If it does reasonably well, then perhaps they'll come out with a new model that includes, among other things:

1) More RAM. 64MB under Maemo is really, really cutting memory to the bone, especially if they do end up coming out with IM and VOIP clients, as promised - and especially when you consider that the IM client, at least, will normally be used by people with it always running in the background, and thus consuming resources. As it is now, we can see many complaints about people having the browser crash with just a couple of windows open, etc. RAM is cheap, cheap, cheap, and you can never have enough of it.

2) Redesigned case: There's just too little space between left side of the rocker pad and the case, when the case is on. A flip cover that rotated completely flat against the back would be ideal - it could also serve as a built-in stand, with an appropriate ratchet
mechanism.

3) A stylus silo that doesn't require me to jockey the case around just to get the stylus in and out.

4) Software: The ~ 4 days of standby time is just ridiculous. Nokia really needs to utilize a more effective standby system, especially for something that is explicity designed not to be tethered to a desk. It's kind of pointless to have something that I can leave next to my couch, when I need to carry it back to the charger so frequently.

5) An IMAP client that can't handle folders? Who thought THAT was a good idea?

The biggest problem I see is that the 770 gets really good reviews in the "geek press" - but the "mainstream" publications that Joe Consumer usually reads - PC Magazine, etc - are not as positive. And, realistically, Joe Consumer needs to be the one buying these things in droves, if there's any hope of there being more substantial follow-on products.

- Rich