View Single Post
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
can you comment on the screen responsiveness? The reviews on the BB site are bi-polar with the biggest negative being the screen.
Snoshrk
Well, I'm used to resistive screens (N900, N800, Palm), being a bigger screen, there is more "give" in the middle, so it requires a little more touch than say my N900. If you are used to resistive, it's not bad. Not as good as the N900, but hasn't caused me any issues. I think most of the complaints are from people used to capacitive.

How does the GPS do w/o data? [saw a review that it sucks in general w/o the sim card]
Snoshrk
I don't have a sim in it, so no data that way. If you are in an area with wifi, GPS locks very fast, almost instant. I've gone a couple of days without using the GPS (I leave it enabled), and use it in the car (no wifi), I'd guess 30 seconds or so, less than a minute to get a fix. Accuracy wise, seems better than my N900.

Screen visibility in daylight / car?
Snoshrk
In the car, in bright sunlight, it helps to turn up the brightness. It's not great, but usable. In general, viewing angles (up/down) aren't that great, tends to invert colors, but under normal conditions are alright (holding, using kickstand).

Check out androidtablets, they have a huawei section and lots of good info. Looks like as of yesterday, there is a working clockwork recovery, so custom roms shouldn't be too far off. The bestbuy rom is limited to 768Mhz, landscape/portrait. I flashed a singapore rom, 1GHz, full 4-way rotation. Currently 2 different ways to do apps2sd for more install space. Stock huawei launcher isn't too bad, but it can also be removed.

The part I liked best: It's available at a real store, so you can test it in the store, and return it easily, unlike many of the other cheap off brand tablets. From what I can tell, it's better than the cheaper tablets at kmart, sears, etc. Not as good as a Galaxy Tab, not as expensive either.

Concerns: Few/no accessories for it. It uses an unusual size plug for charging (old motorola, adaptatip G @ radioshack) and need at least 1amp to charge while using. So you may have to wire up your own car charger. However, come April, they should be releasing a S7 slim, capacitive screen version, so accessories may start showing up.

Go check it out, play with it a little. Leave, think about. Watch the ads, it's been on sale recently for $250. There may be a restocking fee, so check that out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: