View Single Post
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Does the dng output of fcamera work in Lightroom?
Yes, it does. My workflow has been FCAM and Lightroom.

The dng file generated by camera-ui2 is nearly identical to the jpg at default RAW development values, so I think it is heavily processed.
I wanted to verify. When I looked at the file in RAW Thjerapee the thumbnail looks like the JPG file but once you open the RAW file the thumbnail changes. I did a quick comparison between FCAM and Camera-ui2 and the output is nearly identical. Color might be slightly better on FCAM

Camera-ui2 RAW does give control over demosaic and NR just like the FCAM DNG.

Compare dng output between fcamera and camera-ui2. Fcamera seems to generate a "rawer" RAW, taking the presence of vignetting as evidence as well as how well rawtherapee etc can develop it. No criticism of Nicolai here, as I know he has simply utilised a "built-in".
Since FCAM already has the rawer RAW I would prefer to see a more processed RAW (closer to the JPEG output). Since Nokia understands the characteristics of the lens and sensor they produce a much more pleasing output. I think that is a better baseline for RAW editing (assuming we still have access to demosaic and NR)

And what is "NR" written by you above?
NR is Noise Reduction. I prefer very heavy Chroma NR vs luminance. Chroma NR gets rid of the red and blue dots. Luminance gets rid of grain.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post: